- Click on the Grades link in the Administration block, then select Scales.
- On the Scales page click the [Add a new scale] button.
- On the next page give your scale a name in the Name box that will identify it among other scales.
- In the Scale box, create your scale. Each item in the scale should be separated by a comma. You can use as many options here as you require. You must order the comma separated elements in increasing order of value. (for example: 0, ✓-, ✓, ✓+ )
- Write a detailed description in the Description box for your scale. Your students will have access to the description, and you can use this to give them additional feedback. The more details you put in the description, the more students will understand what each scale item means.
- Click [Save Changes].
TIP: If your scale is a custom non-value (not a number), Moodle’s behavior in combining or averaging the scores into a percentage value is unpredictable. When an average or aggregate is important, then it is a good idea to stick with the standard 100% scale to compute an overall grade.